Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Dave tells you why the Saw films suck.

God, Saw... remember when you used to be cool?
What happened?
Now, I'm sure you're out there saying, "Duh Dave, of course the Saw films suck." Too true. And I know that you know that the Saw films suck. I'm not saying that we're dealing with the Citizen Kane-genre of movies here. But I am also a huge Huge huge horror fan. So, when I tell you that the single most successful series of horror movies are dogshit, I'd like to think I have my reasons here.  So, if you're bored, constipated, or just lonely and longing for the words of someone to whisper sweet nothing into your eyeballs, put on a pot of coffee, because this is going to get long.  (meaning: please read this, because I'm going to waste a lot of time typing this. Time that could have been spent helping save starving children. So, if you ignore this post, you may as well be starving the children yourself, right? Right! Blast off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Part I: Saw used to be cool.

I remember reading online back in like 2003 that there was this original, gory, twisted film hitting the indie circuits called Saw.  It had virtually no big name actors (sorry Murtaugh, you're finished) and was made by a couple of first time filmmakers for nothing. Then a couple months later, they released it in select theaters to a very limited promotional campaign. I saw maybe 2 previews for it. Plus the only theater that was playing it was the Kennedy Mall 6 in Dubuque here... The ONLY theater in like 100 mile radius, and it was a shitty mall theater.  Well, I saw it, and loved it.  Me, my dad and Courtney were all blown away by it.  (not the acting, mind you, but the concept.)  The original Saw was the perfect "concept movie."  What does that mean?  I mean, it's a movie based around a single idea that's easy to describe.  Another example? Human Centipede. Crazy German surgeon grafts 3 captured tourists' mouths to each other's anuses. Hilarity ensues.  Saw had a great hook that you could tell people and it immediately either turned them off it, or made them aching to go see it. "2 guys (no cup) trapped in a room forced to saw off their foot to escape."  That's it. That's all you needed to know.  Now, try to explain the plot of Saw 4 or 5 without having an anurism.  ("Um, some cops were after Jigsaw... and, um, was he dead yet in this one? I think he was, but maybe not... and they cut-no, blow up-no, they cut some guys legs off... and... there's a wife... and is Amanda in this one? Or did she die in the last one? Or is this the one where she's not really dead ?  Oh, Mark Wahlberg's brother gets his head crushed by some ice blocks. That's what Saw 4 is about."

Needless to say, they've gotten pretty muddy. And for very little reason. The Saw films have made it their main objective to painstakingly show every meticulous detail that is happeneing behind the scenes of the much better movie you just got done watching. How did Jigsaw create that trap? Well, here's a flashback of him drawing blueprints, then working at a retail job to make some money, then him walking to the bank to take out some cash to go to the hardware store to buy some sheet metal to construct a platform to hang a scale off of to put a chair onto so he can take his blood pressure while he hires a contractor to rig up a crucifix torture rack.

Do we really need that much exposition?  I've always been in the camp that favored the "less is more" approach to villains.  Why is Michael Myers scary? Because he's a regular kid that went crazy. You never know! It could happen to anyone.  (Not Rob Zombies version where he's a sympathetic little kid who came from a bad home). Another example is Christopher Nolan's Joker in Dark Knight. The whole, "You wanna know how I got these scars?" speech is more memorable than any backstory, because it leaves you wondering how he got the scars, and just how crazy this guy is.  So, in the case of Saw, I think the coolest Jigsaw has ever been, is in part 1. You don't get his whole backstory. It doesn't get into his fucking terribly hypocritical world views... I don't even remember if it goes into his cancer storyline... I guess it must, or else, you know, what the fuck, but it didn't beat you over the head with it.  By the end of the 4th movie I felt like I knew more about his past than I know about iCarly. And lets just say, Courtney watches a lot of iCarly.
It makes me mad when I think back to how much I enjoyed the first one when it came out, yet how easily I dismiss the whole series now. The first one was fresh. It was edgy. Now it's fucking Wal Mart.

Part II: I really wanted to like it

So, after Saw 1 became a hit, and I was no longer the only person asking co-workers at Sullivan's Foods," did you see Saw?" (to which they replied, "Did I seesaw? Why?") there was a quick and inevitable sequel. Cranked out and ready for consumption by Halloween of next year. I was there with bells on, opening night. (Note, I wasn't actually wearing bells. --REVISION-- I was).

Me and Courtney drove down to Dubuque, again, the only place that was playing it and saw it in the Carmike Cinema. It moved up from the crappy mall theater to the larger, less crappy-but still not pleasant theater). Opening night and it was just me, Court, and some goth teenager and her mom. We all shared applause when the Twisted Pictures logo appeared. Today I equate it's barbed wire encrusted logo with the boos and laughs that would follow a studio advertising M. Night Shyamalan's name before a movie. But at the time, it was cool... I think we were all like, "Okay, buckle up... here comes Saw!"

I wanted to like it so much, and if you asked me, I'd have said, yeah, it was really good. Not as good as the first one, but really good.  Truthfully, it's not terrible. It's actually a pretty adequate horror sequel. Kind of like Halloween II. Not as good, but a worthy follow up.  The problem was, it lost the confined atmosphere and real-time-esq. pacing of its predecessor.  For one, there were too many characters. Sure, they were slightly better characterizations than what was to follow, but none of them were very likeable or had any personality. They were simply angry tough guy asshole, or angry cop, or hot girl  And sure, some of the traps got cooler, but they also started to blur the lines of believability... and you had to take a lot from the first one with a grain of salt. Now, I know these are cheap horror films, but the first one was at least a well-thought out cheap horror film.

So, despite me saying the first Saw is the only good one, I'll admit the sequel isn't bad either. Not that I'd need to watch it very often, but I don't regret owning it.  Now, wouldn't it be funny if I went on to decide that I've been too hard on all of the films, and actually praise it as being a very well-constructed series of movies? Ha! Fat chance.  Here we go, this is where they go down hill...

Part III: The movies get really fucking awful.

Alright. One's great. Two gets a pass. Three is an abomination. I remember seeing it in the theater and thinking... what? .... happened?  With the exception of a pretty badass opening scene, I remember sitting in my seat thinking, okay, this is probably where it will start getting good... Sadly, I remember thinking that many, many times. I was never correct.  Even then, when I still had high hopes for the franchise, I realized that something was wrong. I even wrote a very detailed review of it and posted it to my myspace blog. I have since forgotten how to log into my myspace account, but I have found the blog. Check it out if what you're reading now isn't long enough for you. And it's actually pretty funny and poigniant.  Well, I guess it's not poigniant, but it is enthralling.
http://www.myspace.com/davesmovies/blog/185768419
You know what, fuck it, I'll post some highlights from it, because upon going back and reading it, and realizing I was a much better writer back then, it has some funny gems in it. Good job Dave.  So, here's what critics are saying about Saw III:

" I like Saw.  I kinda' liked Saw 2.  And to put it simply, I suppose I'd rather have Saw 3 than no Saw at all...  so, with that in mind, lets rip apart the movie together folks..."  (Oh how wrong I was...)

"The problem with the Saw franchise is that they took away the personal connection that the viewer felt to the characters.  The original Saw was very simple.  The characters awaken in a locked bathroom and neither they, nor the audience knows what's happening to them.  As the movie goes on and the story unfolds, more plot pieces are revealed and the story becomes more and more interesting.  It never dragged, because it stuck with the characters the whole time (aside from a few flashbacks that further fed the story).
Also, the deathtraps, although, undoubtably cool, were not the central focus of the film.  There were three, right at the begining (The barbwire maze, the broken-glass/safe combinations, and the reverse beartrap headgear, if I remember correctly)  And of course, the obvious "saw" trap, which lingered in the background, as the whole film led up to it.  While the original film had it's share of flaws (acting, over-acting, Danny Glover acting, low budget, time constraints) it inevetibly led to it's charm.  And it proved just how well made it was despite it's cons.  The originality and just simply awesome idea more than made up for it's problems.
Saw 2 and 3 seemed to fix all the problems the original had (acting, special effects, time, money, etc.) but in doing so, it lost all the things that made the orignal work (intersting story, characters, all that)"

"Just like Saw 2, Saw 3 suffers from having too much shit going on at once.  We begin Detective Mathews escaping from his cell (which I'll admit was great), then we move on to the female agent from the first 2 movies.  She investigates one murder (the chain trap) and in about ten minutes becomes a victim of Jigsaw's game as well...  All in the first twenty minutes... sounds exciting?  Well, kinda'... except it really only exists to include as many insane death traps as possible...  (it's real reason could've been summed up in about five minutes).  From there we meet a doctor who is down on life, and a father who is heartbroken over the death of his son in a car accident years ago.  Neither of these characters are interesting.  Perhaps if more time was spent on one of them rather than averaging the screen time between them, but probably not... they're all pretty one dimensional, and I didn't give a shit about any of them throughout."

(on the storyline) "Meanwhile, Angry McDad wakes up in a box, breaks out and starts wondering an abandoned building, going from room to room and finding various people strung up in various death traps.  Unlike the first film, where the traps test the victims' will to live, these traps are simply there for the angry father to choose if the victim lives or dies.  And it proceeds as follows:
Angry dad walks into room.  Sees victim chained up in various death trap devices.
Victim:  Help me.
Dad:  You were some how indirectly responsible for my son's death.
Victim:  Help me.
Dad:  Fuck you.
Then the traps begin to do their thing.  The victim screams and screams.  The dad watches until its gone on just long enough to possibly save them, then he realizes he probably should.  He rushes to get them out, oops!  too late, they're dead.  Moving on...
This formula got old really really quick.  In fact, all the deathtraps were completely unnessessary to the dad's story anyway.  They were simply there to showcase more sickening brutality.  (not that I'm complaining, because I decided about haldway through, I sure as hell wasn't watching Saw 3 for the story)  However, this movie goes about showcasing the traps completely ass backwards.  For example, what could have been about the most painful scene to watch (the dude who is forced to yank chains out of his flesh before a bomb goes off) is over in a matter of seizure-inducing cuts that last about ten seconds.  The Saw sequels decided early on that suspense was not something they were going to focus on.  Instead, lets recap the entire movie in a series of split-second flashes that take away from everything that is happening on screen at that moment.  Okay.  Same could be said for the torture rack that twists the guy's body parts 360 degrees.  This could have been horrible to sit through, but instead, they cut away so much, most of it is over by the time we cut back to him."

" The ending to Saw 3 is by far one of the worst attempts at a "twist" ending in the last couple of years...  Anyone who says "Awesome!  That was even better than the first one!" deserves to have their dick ripped off by a big rusty hook, that hasen't been cleaned or steralized properly.  The first major twist is... "Oh my God, the doctor and the angry father are husband and wife!"  I had no idea... I though she was with the other guy, wow... wait... who gives a shit?"

" I bet Jigsaw is one of those guys who would get pissed if you ate a grape at the supermarket and didn't pay for it.  Then he'd get into his car and back over a mother and daughter before tossing garbage out the window and driving wrecklessly into the sunset.
So, if I remember correctly, Amanda shoots the doctor (because she hates her) the angry father shoots Amanda.  The father then forgives Jigsaw, but in an attempt at humor pulls a "not" out of the bag and slashes his throat with a SAW ("see, we can use the title Saw!  It makes sense!!)  And then his wife's head explodes.  (it's okay... we didn't really like her anyway.)"

---I also wrote an additional scene of how the movie would've played out if Amanda (who, if you remember correctly was Ted Danson's secretary on the TV show Becker) kidnapped Becker and forced him to take care of Jigsaw:

"Scene 23:  Amanda brings Dr. John Becker to Jigsaw's Lair.  From here on out, Becker bitches about life and Jigsaw is surprised to find an individual with a more nihilistic outlook than himself.  In fact, when threatened with the bomb device, Becker insists that they just blow his head off right now and save everyone the trouble.  Then he tells Amanda to get her ass back to his reception desk and make him some coffee.  She does so, saying "Okay, sorry Dr. Becker..."  He then sits down beside Jigsaw and gives him the straight dope on his condition.  You have to stop killing people, jackass.  Go out and enjoy life, cause you don't have much time left.  Everyone agrees, and then Becker goes off to his favorite coffee shop and bitches about his day.  THE END. I already like it more."

So, that was pretty much my Saw III review.  And that was me being kind. That was me still holding out a shred of hope for the franchise...  good lord... here we go

PART IV: The exactly same thing happens as part III.

See above.

PART V: Now even the fans are starting the hate the series.

So, as you can see, I skipped over Part 4 because nothing whatsoever is accomplished. More Jigsaw backstory. More Amanda backstory. This isn't LOST, folks. More generic cops take the place of actual characters with any personality or acting talent. And the whole movie takes place during the events in the third movie?  Umm... cool?  No. Not cool. The shows that the series has literally STOPPED moving.  We are at the same place we were at the end of part 4. I think. I've really tried to erase part 3 and 4 from my mind.  I think Det. Hoffman might be introduced in this one. Which may be another reason I don't recall anything about it, because he is the most boring, one dimensional, uninteresting villain of any horror franchise.  So, yeah, we'll just skip over part 4.  All I remember about it is a hair trap, and Ice block trap, and a pedophile gets poked in the eye. (not by a penis)

Part 5, on the other hand, is a horse of a different color.  A whate of a different tail... wait, no, that's not... a thing.  Never mind.  For some reason people liked the 4th movie. One person, and I won't name names, even said it was the best of the series, to which I can only stand, mouth agape thinking, "wha? Did you just decide that by pulling names out of a bowler's hat?" (and yes, it's gotta' be a bowler's hat).  But as I was saying, Part 5, for some reason, really pissed people off.  Why? I have no idea.  I actually thought it was a little better than the last 2.  Jigsaw was finally, officially dead. I think Amanda is dead at this point too.  So, there's a mystery killer (for like the first 10 minutes before they reveal who it is... nice suspense guys, lets try that again in part 7...  REVISION- they did.  Apparently the new writers have no idea what suspense means).

This time, the killer is Detective Hoffman. A tough guy that looks like Stallone and acts like an asshole.  The other main character is an identical looking cop who looks and sounds just like Hoffman.  I mean, what?  Really?  You're going to take the most overly complicated series of movies, and then have the villain, and the protagonist played by two boring, identical looking actors, and expect the audience to keep them straight?  The audience is already bored between all those scenes someone decided to throw in between traps.  But anyway, some casting bigwig decided to go with the twins.  Early one, the good guy has to give himself an impromptu tracheotomy, so the rest of the movie he's talking with a scratchy voice and has a bandage on his neck.  You'd think that would be enough to keep them straight, but I tell you, I still had to actively pay attention and think about it whenever one of them was on screen.  Partly because the movie was terrible and I really didn't want to invest too much energy, but it's not like the series was Resident Evil-bad, where I had to literally get up and leave the room due to it's awfullness.

So, the movie goes on. More traps and stuff. More pointless backstory. Oh, Jigsaw had a wife. Oh, she miscarried. Oh, he tested his first trap on the druggie that caused the miscarriage (note: this may have been in the 4th movie, I can't remember, I'll have to go back and watch them again sometime  REVISION- nope, not happening).  All this flashback bullshit. It just doesn't matter.  How interesting was Jigsaw's life before he bacame Jigsaw.  Not very.  Slightly less interesting than after he became Jigsaw. Which is slightly more interesting than when he became a corpse.  He's just such a boring villain.  He lays in bed all the time. Talks very raspy and monotonous.  Makes me want to fall asleep.  Or force someone through a meat grinder.
I just can't take his whole world view.  You don't treasure your life, so I'm going to put you in a situation where you have to maim yourself to survive, yet, I'm not the bad guy.  I'm sorry, but yes, sir, you very much are the bad guy.  Sure, a handfull of Jigsaw's victims have been shitheads, but as the series went on, his tolerance for victims went way down... I'm pretty sure by this point he was picking out smokers and double-parkers. Can you imagine waking up to that recording. "Hello Eric. I wanna play a game. Last Tuesday, you blocked someone in while shopping for groceries at the local supermarket. That man was late for work because of your selfishness.  Now, you yourself are in a box. One that's getting smaller ever second. You have one minute to pull out your toenails and use them to pick the lock of your enclosure, or you'll be boxed in for all eternity. And the only ticket you'll recieve will be a toe tag."
Jigsaw's a dick.

And as I said earlier, at the beginning of the series, he was putting people in situations where they had control over whether they lived or died. As the series went on, the traps got WAAAAY to over the top and rediculous, but what was even worse is, he starts dragging all these innocent people into it. In part 3, because a father is mopey over his son's death, Jigsaw kidnaps his remaining daughter and locks her in a room with depleting oxygen.  Umm... sure.  Well, she probably did something wrong sometime. Maybe she fed her vegetables to the dog one night at dinner. Or had an affair with her best friend's husband.

Anyway, by the end of Saw V, fans were let down, the studio was scared because it had made significantly less money than its' predecessor's, and it didn't seem like there was much more to say with the Saw films. Hell, I thought they said everything they needed to by the end of the first, but apparently we needed 6 more.

PART VI: Uh oh. We're losing it.

So. After 5 pretty solid years of dominating the box office every Halloween (even to the extent that other studios were afraid to release any other horror movies at the end of October (that's why we had to wait 2 years for the kickass original horror flick, Trick R Treat)) Saw finally got knocked off its pedestal.  And wouldn't you know it, by something original, and low budget, with minimal locations... kinda' like the first Saw!

Sure enough, something had to break Saw's hold, and that something was Paranormal Activity.  Whether you liked it or not (I did), you have to respect its genious marketing campaign, it's spread by word of mouth, and OH yeah, it's ORIGINAL concept.  It's like studios were afraid that people wouldn't see their movies unless it had a giant Roman Numeral after the title.

Paranormal Activity destroyed Saw VI.  The funny thing is, all the Saw fans rallied behind this and started proclaiming brillaint exclamations like "HOLY SHIT! BEST SAW YET!"  "REALLY GUD KILLZ!" and "FUCKING AWESOME!"  But it didn't matter because apparently most of the world went and saw the other movie.  Bad year for Saw.
How was the movie you ask?  Umm... exactly like the other ones.

PART VII: We are no longer using subtitles.

This is what really pisses me off.  While I have no problem saying the series turned to shit, one thing I was ALWAYS there to give them credit for was the fact that they kept the roman numerals and the title consistant. Every movie was just SAW (#). It was simple. Almost elegant. No kitchy crap like Saw 6(66).  Or Saw 10: Jigsaw's Revenge.  Then Saw VI, or should I say Saw 3D: The Final Chapter came out.  Saw, apparently arriving very late to the 3D bandwagon, decided what better way to end the series than to cash in on the already out dated 3D craze.  It also helped them recoup their loss from the last movie.  So, instead of a complete series titled: Saw I, II, III, IV, V, VI, and VII, we got Saw I, II, III, IV, V, VI, and 3D: The Final Chapter.  Wow. Classy.  Because that's what the Saw films have been. Classy.

The problem with Saw 7 (other than the obvious problems that all the previous movies have that we've just given up on and decided to overlook) is that is just comes off so goddamn lazy.  Part of this is probably due to the fact that the director was forced into the project against his will. And it shows.  The director of Saw 6 (I'll use the numerals so it's easier to follow) disapointed Lionsgate with the poor box office numbers. So, they were going to go back to the director of Saw 5 for the newest one. (that's a good idea, pick the director of the one film all the fans unanamously hate). So, part 5 guy is hired. And the director of part 6 actually gets hired by rival studio to direct Paranormal Activity II. Isn't that ironic (don't you think, sorry, had to).  Well, Lionsgate is pissed that he's going to their rival, who actually beat them last year in the box office numbers, so they contractually force him to drop Paranormal Activity II and come back to Lionsgate to direct Saw 7. You know, the movie they didn't want him to do earlier.  They fire Part 5 guy, and now Part 6 guy is pissed because he didn't want to do Saw 7, he wanted to do Paranormal Activity II.  He actually wrote quite a few blogs and posted them all over.  I'm sure Lionsgate was thrilled about that.
So, we've got a tired franchise, helmed by a director that couldn't give two shits about it. Sounds great, huh? Let's watch THAT movie!  Now, I didn't see it in the theater (learned to stop after the 3rd), so I didn't see it in 3D. However, I've seen a couple films in 3D (Avatar being one, and I'm just not impressed by it. It actually takes me out of the movie). The problem is, whenever they tout a film as being 3D in the theater, it's completely lost on DVD.  They spend all that time and effort making it, and the majority of the people that see it will end up doing so on DVD. So you're left watching a movie that was not intended to be seen in 2D.  In any normal movie, you'd be wondering, 'God, why are they spending so much time having things fly at the screen?'  Even the title is SAW 3D.  How lazy.  They can't change that for the non-3D home viewing audience.

Then again, everything about the movie is lazy. I watched it over a week ago, and I've already forgotten most of it, but in this one, they just go all out. And by that I mean, they don't even attempt to make the traps believable.  People chained up in broad day light in a department store window... no one notices them till they wake up. How did they get there etc?  For a series that loves to give so much backstory and exposition, they dropped the ball on this one. I guess we'll find out all the inconsequential inner workings in SAW VIII: Back to the numerals. That is if it isn't rebooted in a year and titled HACKSAW. Or made into a prequel titled SAW ZERO.

Seriously though... the traps are so fucking ridiculous.  Buildings upon buildings of mechanical mumbo jumbo. Jigsaw's own personal car scrap yard. A Warehouse literally FILLED with fans.  What the hell!? In Saw I it was a chain and a hacksaw.  That was it. And it was good enough.
 Where did he get the money for all this?  Who built it all?  How'd he do it from a hospital bed?  And WHEN did he get all these other victims between all the other movies?  It seems like they would've mentioned all these other people in Saw 1-6. It actually became comical when all these Jigsaw survivors were gathering at a support group... for Jigsaw Survivors sharing stories.  Jesus, Jigsaw's been busy.  And what's even more laughable is all these people thinking he was a prophet... I'd think there would be a couple more folks angry about him forcing them to cut off a limb or two.

One of the biggest mistakes the movie made right off the bat was revealing that Dr. Gordan (you know, Cary "My family needs me!" Elwes) from the first movie is still alive. Alive and cynical.  Hmmm... I wonder if he'll come back at the end, you know maybe to carry on Jigsaw's legacy... I guess we'll have to wait and see. Or hope the audience forgets about him so they'll be surprised when he pops up in the last 5 minutes and, you know, carries on Jigsaw's Legacy.  Because that makes sense... why wouldn't you want to help out the dead maniac that tortured you, your family, and made you cut off your own foot.  I bet that bathroom floor was cold too... I would probably be pissed about that.

Another really dumb moment is how the traps go from ridiculously impossible, to childishly simple.  Like the guy in Part II who has to cut the key out of his own eyeball. Or all those poor bastards that have no way out of their traps and are only there as someone else's test.  Well, this one has the single easiest Jigsaw death trap imaginable. And it's the LAST trap of the movie, wait- the whole series!  This guy has to take these two meathooks on chains and stick them into his chest, then pull himself up using a pulley system and plug in an extension cord.  There is no villain there watching him, to make sure he does it accordingly.  So, what does he do?  Exactly that.  And his flesh rips and he falls.  And that's pretty much all you see of him.  It never occured to him to, I don't know, loop the hooks around his arms, or around his body and hook them together?  Then pull himself up?  Or stand on the hooks?  They're not gonna pierce boots.  Oh my God.  That part almost ruined the movie for me.  (HA!) Another part that bugged me, and showed how lazy they had become was where the character has to pull his teeth out with a pair of pliers... this could very easily become one of the grossest moments in any movie because it had the potential to feel real... everyone has been to the dentist, so there's a shared experience that everyone hates... they could've built up the tention with close ups of the pliers gripping the tooth, or even gone all out and had an inside the mouth cam... but no. They just have him yank them out with minimal difficulty, all from a stagnant, stale medium full body shot.  It's like the director just said, "Okay, stand in front of the camera and pretend to pull you teeth out."  Then the DP asked if he wants them to get any additional coverage, and the director said, "No. Lets just get this in the can so I can hopefully go shoot Paranormal Activity 3."

And also, Jigsaw had so many plans in advance.  He had deathtraps, tapes, and warehouses all prepared to a T, down to the wire, for numerous people and their loved ones.  And he's been dead for the past 4 movies!  This guy was a planner.
So, as the series came to a close, let me wrap up with a recap.  Jigsaw captures people and puts them through tests so they appreciate their life.  Then het gets killed by a nobody, as does his protege, Amanda. Then his other secret protege, Hoffman takes over, and Jigsaw's wife shows up to really do nothing but get Hoffman in trouble.  So Hoffman kills her, then Hoffman is killed by Jigsaw's first protege, Dr. Gordan, who was one of his first victims.  The end.  Wow. Great story. Thanks for wasting 7 Halloweens.  I could've been spending that time slutting around at various parties.

And why does the bathroom play such an important role in these movies?  So many of the Saw films end at that same bathroom... Sure, it's important to the audience, because its where the first movie took place, but it shouldn't be important to the characters, since Jigsaw has apparently been fucking with people before that?  It's not like it was his first, virgin trap...  It didn't bust his trap cherry... and it also wasn't the best trap he's ever had.  I mean, look at the size of that car trap... now that's a trap that'll leave you sore in the morning.  And it was like a 4 person trap, so come on, that's going to stick out in his head...  No, all the movies end in the bathroom because it takes us back to when the Saw movies used to be good.  It's like the filmmakers are saying... sorry about that, that last one was pretty weak, but you know what I'll do, I'll take you back to what's comforting...  I really appreciated the moment when Dr. Gordan looks over and sees his severed foot still chained to the pipe.  He gives it a bit of acknowledgement, then walks past, probably thinking of better days.

No comments:

Post a Comment