Friday, May 3, 2013

Reflections from The Cutting Room Floor (Part V: Murder Party)


Murder Party
 
 
Holy hell, what a fun time this was. 
 
 
As soon as I had the idea for filming a horror anthology, I knew that I wanted to have the final short film be a cheesy spoof on classic black and white horror films from the '50s and '60s.  I was thinking really old school, Ed Wood and Vincent Price-type of fair, which are a blast in themselves.  The important part was I wanted to end the movie with an over-the-top throwback to horror nostalgia.  I didn't expect it to be half the running time of the entire movie, but I feel it's a great way to end the film.  After all, you want the audience to leave on a high note, so we saved the most action-packed, ridiculousness for the end.  And if you were chuckling through the beginning of the film, you should be rolling by the end (you know, when we actually intended on it being funny...).
 
 
The idea came from an actual Murder Party that my wife and I threw a couple years prior.  We'd do these theme parties a couple times a year, where everyone would dress up and then just stand around getting hammered at our place.  For the Murder Party, we instructed everyone to come as a character of their own creation, and bring along their weapon of choice, then every half hour we drew a name out of a hat and that person became the next victim.  This was part of the inspiration for the movie, and as you can see in the picture, the first time Leonard "Whiskers" St. Elliott found his way into our lives and our hearts. Chelsea Harris' character in the film, Gwendolyn Trundlebunk also originated from this evening, and even though I didn't have the Black Swan costume yet, I still went as a chick; a french-maid/runaway Nazi war-criminal named Alexandra Macedonia. I guess you could say that was part of the inspiration for Nicole Koester's character in the movie, and I suppose its debatable that she looked better in a dress than I did. Neil also crafted a unique character that will be popping up in a movie soon; a traveling Tonic Salesman by the name of Charlie Arnold.  He might even have some ties to Whiskers and -ah, I've already said too much.
 
Anyway, this script came together pretty quick, the only problem was, how much of it came together.  I think the finished script was about 22 pages, which ended up being twice as long as anything else we shot. (and I use small font so I can fit more per page).  Either, way, it was going to be a bit of a stretch to film all in one night, which was pretty essential.  In the end, we ended up having to go back and shoot the opening about a week later, but we got the majority of the film done over an 8 hour period, which was pretty astounding.
 
I think the first thing that stands out about Murder Party is the fantastic cast of characters.  As I mentioned in part 1 of this blog, the whole point of this blog was to get away from using these inside jokes that we all had and make something that everyone could enjoy.  And despite the fact that a couple of the characters in this had originated before we filmed the movie, we were able to introduce them to a brand new audience, and they really connected with them.  Everyone in the movie did a fantastic job, but I'd be remiss if I didn't point out a couple obvious scene-stealers.
 
-Troy Potter as Leonard St. Elliott is, what I believe to be one of the greatest creations Troy has ever gifted to the world.  His first child will have a tough act to follow, unless of course it is birthed with a full mustache, in which case, I suppose it would be equal to the crowning achievement of Whiskers.  As I mentioned, Whiskers had already graced our presence about a year prior, so I got a good feel for the character and everything Troy brought with it, so I wrote his part with that in mind, knowing Troy could fill in the rest.  And boy did he ever.  He actually came to set with a list of strange facts that he had prepared for Whiskers to share with the group during takes.  The story of the Hindenburg crash, along with the sinking book depository and the last full moon were all Troy, and they were marvelous.  Same goes for the parasol, the mustache comb, and all the snappy attire.  I've grown quite fond of Mr. St. Elliott, and I think audiences are in for a long journey with him.  A surreal moment happened on the night of the premiere when we overheard a little kid telling his parents he wanted to be Whiskers for Halloween.  My heart melted and exploded at the same time.
 
-Paul Gothard as Ron Jacuzzi. Wow. Just wow.  Another fantastic performance, that Paul had created completely on his own a couple years before we shot this.  I've been trying to fit Cooze into a movie for a while now, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity for him to pop in and do his shtick.  I think Cooze is really the fan favorite of this movie, and Paul has everything about him just figured out and nailed down to a "T."  The majority of his lines were things that he already came up with an has been running with for a while, I just threw them in.  I also love that Cooze really contributes very little to the actual story, usually just leaning in for a non-sequitor, then backing out and accidentally killing a good guy.  While most of Cooze was all Paul, I take great pride in the scene where he unwittingly shoots Sarah in the face while trying to save her from the villain.  That scene, along with Whiskers' nonchalantly-snapping of Nicole's neck got some of the biggest laughs in the premiere, and they're too of my favorite things we've ever shot.  And no, I don't have an animosity towards women, I just think it's funny when they unexpectedly die.  (I kid, I kid.)
 
-Scott Goedert as Dr. Weisenkompf.  Another great find.  Scott played a badass zombie earlier in the film, as well as one of the hunters in Haunted, but man, he killed it as the effeminate German doctor in this.  Every delivery was hilarious, and he had the accent nailed (fun fact, apparently Scott took German in high school- or that's what he told me anyway).  Amongst a slew of hilarity, my favorite line is when he tries to conceal his secret meeting with his fellow villains and tells Cooze that he's just singing a traditional German folk song in the room by himself.  That was all I had written in the script; but then he goes on to break into 99 Red Balloons, very briefly, before just trailing off and resuming their conversation.  One of the best moments in the movie.
 
There's so many other great performances, many of which I was disappointed in how much screen time they received.  Both Alex Finch and Collins Eboh, were amazing, and brought so much to their characters (whom I gave them very little direction on), I wish we could've had them in it more.  Hopefully we'll be able to rectify this in future endeavours. Another well-deserved shout out for PK, as his character: Colonel Urban.  This is another character Paul created from his Man Vs. Kinda' Wild web series, but viewers don't need to know that going in; he's just a great Southern Military guy whom Paul has a hard on for playing.  I think he's going to be popping up again.  Col Urban, not Paul's boner.  Although I suppose it could be both.
 
After the characters, I think the second thing that really stands out about Murder Party is the awesome location.  This was one of the hardest locals to lock down because we basically needed a large building for us to have free reign in for a night.  And frankly, not a lot of businesses will be willing to do that for a group of young adults shooting a movie they've never heard of.  We were close to running out of options when PK someone stumbled upon the Kirby Building, and after a quick talk with the owner, we got the okay to film in there. The owner, Tony Pfol, was nothing but great to us, letting us in for multiple nights, and even giving the okay for future projects as well.  Hell of a guy who didn't mind helping out local artists, and we couldn't have made the movie without his help.  I mean, the building was just perfect.  And there were so many great finds that we stumbled across and were able to work into the script (ie: the strangle collection of tubs that Cooze is afraid will run him out of business).  Also, it's a creepy place. It doesn't really hit you until you're packing up to leave and you have to hit the lights on the second floor and then make your way back downstairs to the exit.  It would make a great setting for a crappy found-footage horror flick that could linger in a redbox for a couple months before being replaced by something almost identical two weeks later. 
 
God, there's so much to talk about on this one, but I'll try not to get too wordy with it.  The general plot line was always: Get a bunch of crazy characters together in a building and have them start getting killed off one by one.  Upon writing the script, I tried to think up something original, yet very familiar in the horror tropes.  I liked the idea of incorporating the Nazi war criminals (1. I'm a huge Hellboy fan, and those are Hellboy staples, and 2. because it gives it the nostalgic, retro feel that I wanted this to have.)  We wanted to have the color black and white and over and under saturated, full of grain and scratches (I'm also a huge Grindhouse fan, if you couldn't tell).  It was also a conscious decision to never really say the time period.  I wanted it to have that timeless quality, with the Nazis and Whiskers, but still show people on their cell phones, giving it this weird feeling of not knowing when the hell this is supposed to take place.  After all, it's supposed to come off as a bad movie, so I assure you, that was intentional. 

Another question, one which we got at the premiere during the Q&A after the film: Why frogs?  Again, in Hellboy, there's a famous story arc involving a plague of frog creatures, so that was an instant nod to that.  And on top of that, because Frog zombies just seemed so retarded, we had to do it.  We already had a whole segment in the film around zombies, so the villains couldn't just be zombies.  I tried to think what would be the least intimidating animal for a crazed dictator to want to rule the world... Toads seemed like a safe bet.  Plus we could throw that cheesy "ribbit" sound effect in as much as we wanted.   (a funny side note to that- every time someone gets bit and becomes a frog monster, they all took it upon themselves to ribbit in their characters native accent.  Col Urban ribbits with a southern drawl, and Collin's character utters a very heavy French "ribet'".  What makes it even funnier is, we never told them to do that, planning all along to add all the ribbits in later when we were in post production.  Oh well, happy accidents and dedication to their characters.)
 
This movie also climaxes in typical PK fashion.  Everything else we filmed in The Cutting Room Floor was very different from movies we have made in the past.  We got to expand our horizons, try different styles, show restraint, etc.  Murder Party was our chance to let loose and just make something that was an all-out blast.  It's like we had been holding back the entire shoot, and this was our excuse to just get it all out.  From the stumbling upon a cache of automatic weapons, to a big shoot out and drag-out brawl, this is PK's bread and butter.  After everything else we've done I figured Paul would never want to edit another muzzle-flash, but we threw it all in anyway.  It's always funny how as soon as Paul breaks out all of his fake guns, immediately, the entire cast gravitates toward them to start posing and playing with.  I think as soon as we got to the building the first hour was taken up by getting into costume and make up and playing with guns.
 
Looking back, Murder Party was one of the favorite things we've filmed to date.  Partly because of the freedom you have in making an "intentionally-cheesy" movie, so you can just go all out with it, but also in the fact that it was really just getting together with a  group of friends who are all very funny, and seeing how they interact with each other on camera.  I feel like Tagged is what I would put on a resume, you know, to show that we're capable of making a taut, well-made thriller (jesus god, did I just say "taut?"), but then after getting the job, I'd be like, "Hey, you wanna grab a couple beers and watch Murder Party?"
 
 
Good times indeed.  I'm gonna do one more blog in this series, focusing on wrapping up the whole experience, and then we're done with the look back at The Cutting Room Floor.  And while we're still on the topic, and since I don't think a whole lot of people are actually reading this, might as well drop a bit of a bombshell...
 
Whiskers, Cooze, and Swan will return for THE AFTER PARTY: MURDER PARTY 2.  2013.


No comments:

Post a Comment